Toronto’s Transit Construction Displacing More Rats, Part 2
As a home or commercial property owner, what can you do to help prevent rats from getting inside?
Firstly, rodent-proof your home:
- Eliminate easy entry points by patching up any holes and covering any openings in and around your house and/or building. Rats can enter through a hole as small as the size of a quarter. Remember to take care of door thresholds as well as vents. Use heavy gauge wire mesh for vents and metal sheeting for holes. (Rats can chew through materials as tough as concrete if an established food source has been found.)
Secondly, eliminate potential food sources & nesting places:
- Store garbage in tightly sealed containers and secure compost bins.
- As much as possible, eliminate items on the property (including inside garages) that could act as hiding and nesting places (e.g. piles of wood, old tires, boxes filled with old clothes, etc.)
- Eliminate easily accessible food sources (e.g. pet food left in the garage, fruit fallen from trees, grass seed, etc.)
- Clean bird feeders, bird baths and surrounding areas often.
- Maintain a clean kitchen. Do not leave food out in the open. Store dry food (including pet food) in glass or metal containers that seal tightly.
Additionally, keep an eye out for signs of rats on your property including:
- Chewed or gnawed food, food packaging and other materials
- Capsule-shaped droppings and urine
- Burrows (holes) in and around foundation walls
Your best bet in preventing a rat infestation more successfully however is to receive an inspection from a professional who can offer personalized recommendations.
Advantage Pest Control Inc. is happy to service you with such an inspection from one of our leading rodent control specialists. We provide FREE inspections for commercial properties.
Most importantly, if you suspect your property has rats, be proactive and hire a professional company sooner rather than later to tackle the issue. Rats breed quickly and do not go away easily. In fact, by the time most property owners realize they have a rat issue they already have a serious rat infestation. Rats do not typically run around during the day when they are in plain sight.
Recent changes to the Ministry of Environment guidelines for rodenticide use by the public have also made it even more difficult to eliminate rats on your own. For safety reasons, effective rodent control products that were previously available to the public are now only accessible to licensed professionals. Therefore, receiving rat control service from a licensed professional is highly recommended.
Call us at 416-840-4040 or email email@example.com to speak to a rodent control specialist today.
Rats Toronto – A Division of Advantage Pest Control Inc. © 2014