Toronto’s Worst Pest Control Problems: Bed Bugs and Carpenter Ants
As a major urban center Toronto has its share of pest problems. In this article we investigate two of the cities worst problems: bed bugs and carpenter ants. We provide tips for both prevention and treatment of bed bug and carpenter ant infestations.
Advantage Pest Control does offer treatment options for Toronto and other GTA regions. We have both bed bug specialists and carpenter ant specialists on staff. Please visit the link above or give us a call at 416-840-4040.
Bed Bugs in Toronto
Bed bugs can be a difficult pest to deal with and a difficult pest to get rid of. It is often hard to determine how an infestation was caused. One of our most frequent questions is “how did I get bed bugs?” Usually, however, it is one of three reasons: travelling, overnight guests, or used furniture.
How To Treat Bed Bugs
There are several options to treating bed bugs depending on factors such as time, money and labour. The most effective treatment is heat remediation for bed bugs. This is a professional service that is very labour intensive. Other professional services include steam, insecticide spray and dusting options. There are also several bed bug monitors that can be helpful in determining the presence and severity of a bed bug infestation.
A great preventative method and control method for bed bugs is mattress covers. Make sure that you purchase your mattress cover from a reputable pest control company and that the cover has been tested and proven to be bed bug proof. A bed bug proof mattress cover should be a zippered cover for your mattress. Make sure to also get box spring and pillow covers to provide ultimate bed bug protection. Bed bugs like to hide in any crack or crevice that they can find and mattress, box springs and pillows provide many harbourage areas for bed bugs to live in.
Other do it yourself options are available when a homeowner purchases reliable bed bug products. These include domestic-label insecticides, aerosols and powders including diatomaceous earth.
To summarize the best options for killing bed bugs are:
Steps in a bed bug elimination, as in any integrated pest control program, are as follows:
- Identification – this can be achieved through a bed bug inspection or through passive bed bug monitors.
- Professional Pest Control Treatments such as heat remediation, steam, spray or dusting programs.
- Do it yourself bed bug products such as aerosols, insecticide sprays or powders.
- Prevention: the best methods of prevention are bed bug proof mattress covers and bed bug monitors such as the bed bug defender. We also have a travel kit for bed bugs available, give us a call for more information.
Carpenter Ants in Toronto
Carpenter ants are a wood boring insect, which means they like to live inside wood. This can be problematic for homeowners as the structure of a house has many wooden elements. Of primary concern are foundations, roofs, decks and other wooden structures. Carpenter ants are a natural insect in the outdoors. In North America they are very common and found in most backyards. They are an important part of the ecosystem and are only a problem when start to invade structures instead of decaying and decomposing trees.
How To Treat Carpenter Ants
The best option for treating carpenter ants is an integrated method. Our professional carpenter ant specialists recommend a bait and spray treatment program. This program utilizes both carpenter ant attractive bait and a residual spray to provide maximum results in carpenter ant control. Here’s why:
- Carpenter ants are social insects, which means that when they meet each other and pass food to each other they pass along the insecticide which they ingest when they groom themselves.
- The bait can be carried back to the queen which is the best method to kill carpenter ants. Once the queen is eliminated, the ant colony cannot survive.
- Residual sprays keep on killing even after they are dry which takes care of any “stragglers”.
Carpenter ants can be really difficult to treat on your own. Our specialists know about the life cycle and life ways of carpenter ants. They have been specially trained at eliminating carpenter ants from both residential and commercial properties.